Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Appears in Collections:Faculty of Social Sciences Policy Documents
Title: Linking administrative datasets about looked after children. Insights for policymakers and practitioners
Author(s): Hooper, Jade
Cusworth, Linda
Whincup, Helen
Contact Email:
Keywords: care system
kinship care
foster care
data linkage
Issue Date: Sep-2019
Date Deposited: 2-Oct-2019
Citation: Hooper J, Cusworth L & Whincup H (2019) Linking administrative datasets about looked after children. Insights for policymakers and practitioners. University of Stirling. Permanently Progressing? Building secure futures for children in Scotland. Stirling.
Series/Report no.: Permanently Progressing? Building secure futures for children in Scotland
Abstract: The Scottish Government’s Looked After Children Data Strategy (2015) seeks to provide a robust and reliable body of data to realise the policy ambitions set out in the Scottish Government’s strategy Getting it right for looked after children and young people: Early Engagement, Early Permanence and Improving the Quality of Care. The Data Strategy specifically seeks to enhance knowledge of the outcomes for looked after children through linking administrative datasets to provide a broader evidence base and inform more effective interventions. The Permanently Progressing? Building secure futures for children in Scotland study is following the progress of all children who became looked after in Scotland aged five or under in 2012-2013 (n=1,836). In Phase One (2014-2018), the study tested the feasibility of linking administrative data from the Children Looked After Statistics (CLAS) with data from the Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration (SCRA) and created a linked dataset. This briefing paper summarises key finding and contributes towards the discussion on how best to maximise the potential of rich data to underpin effective policymaking and interventions regarding looked after children in Scotland. Key findings Linkage of CLAS and SCRA data was possible, but time consuming and complex. Using date of birth, gender and local authority as identifiers, records were successfully matched for 1,000 children. Across the total sample, 67% of children had records which matched as expected, leaving 33% where records either did not match or matched unexpectedly. There was considerable variation across local authorities in the rate at which data matched; from 54% to 97%. Two fifths (418) of the 1,000 linked children had a previous referral recorded by SCRA. Almost 60% of the children who had a previous referral were under one year old at the time. For most (88%) of the 418 children, the previous referral did not lead to a Children’s Hearing. For one in five children there was an appeal to the sheriff, but for the majority (81%) there was no appeal.
Type: Policy Document
Rights: Proper attribution of authorship and correct citation details should be given
Affiliation: Social Work
Lancaster University
Social Work
Licence URL(s):

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
1920137_Linking administrative datasets about looked after children WEB.pdfFulltext - Published Version313.24 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

This item is protected by original copyright

Items in the Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

The metadata of the records in the Repository are available under the CC0 public domain dedication: No Rights Reserved

If you believe that any material held in STORRE infringes copyright, please contact providing details and we will remove the Work from public display in STORRE and investigate your claim.